❣️ Right now
Looking for training documents? Click here!
🔜 Upcoming Events
- November 14-16 @ Archivematica Camp Houston
- November 29 @ AV QC Workshop hosted by Centre national de l'audiovisuel Luxembourg
- February 19-22 @ Code4lib (Details TBD)
I am an archivist, developer, and technologist specializing in video preservation, digital repository management, infrastructure/community building, computer-to-human interpretation, and teaching technical concepts. I care about education (especially in/with tech), access (especially to moving images), the act of creation (especially on the web), and good archival practice (especially with digital formats).
I blog here sometimes!
I am happily employed as AV Preservation Specialist at Artefactual Systems. In the past, I've worked for numerous organizations including but not limited to the New York Public Library, Bay Area Video Coalition, MediaArea, and the University of South Carolina in archivist, (technical) development, and digital repository specialist roles (or a combination of the above).
Learn more about my work experience and background, and what I have learned, here: "How did I get here?"
If my resume is what you are after, download it here.
Working on and in open source is important to me. I have been fortunate to have worked on several open source projects, most notably QCTools and MediaConch, and to be involved with the standardization of Matroska, FFV1, and FLAC through the IETF. Some of my contributions can be found on Github.
💻 Software development
- See Github for day-job-related software development work.
- A/V Artifact Atlas
- LaMaMa ETC Digital Collections | [article]
- QCTools signalserver
🗣 Speaking and 🍎 Teaching
All my talks can be found here.
- avpres-training ✨
- ffmprovisr | [blog]
- Archivematica technical training videos/documents
- IETF CELLAR Working Group
- Minimum Viable Station Documentation
- Minimum Viable Station Documentation: Recipes
- No Time To Wait! Symposium
- open-workflows Recurse Center Syllabus
- The Collection Management System Collection
💙 Community work
- Screen Slate
- AMIA (2016): Digital Preservation Workshop
- AMIA (2016): Digital Preservation Stream team
- AMIA (2016): DIY Community Archiving Stream team
- XFR Collective (2015 - 2016) | [hyperallergic]
- Code4lib (2014, 2015): Video stream team
✏️ Writing/inteviews (other than my blog)
- Museum of the Lost Web: Freezone
- SAA ERS: Trained in Classification, Without Classification
- Archivist's Alley: Ashley Blewer: Digital archiving, open source work, & systems of strength
- The Signal: Demystifying Digital Preservation for the Audiovisual Archiving Community
- The Signal: Improving Technical Options for Audiovisual Collections Through the PREFORMA Project
- The Signal: Wisdom is Learned: An Interview with Applications Developer Ashley Blewer
- NYPL: Technology is People
- LITA Guides: The Librarian's Introduction to Programming Languages (Ruby chapter)
- NYPL: Women's History in Digital Collections
- Bustle: Article about being a young woman interested in technology
💖 Blog posts people like the best
- CSS Grid and New Order
- Web Archiving: Accessibility and Archivability
- Non-technical person's guide to becoming an open source software contributor via Github
- Aspect Ratios in LEMONADE, Pt. 1
- Format-ion: Video playback errors in Beyoncé's latest music video
- Barthes Tarot
- cats: a command line tool
- Film Formats Quiz (ft. Beyoncé)
- I Ching | [blog]
- Poirot Yourself!
- Portable Auroratone
- Scopitone Jukebox
- SMASH ART (desktop only)
- Signal Loss: Mapping "video errors" in Star Trek | [writeup@avclub]
- @nypl_cats and @nypl_dogs | [writeup@fusion]
🎨 Art ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
- "Cry Map, Greater Boston Area, ca. 2010" (2017) | [blog]
- "kill your idols" (2015-2017)
- Rotoscopes! (2009)
- A comic about a cat (2008)
Please get in touch: